Monday, November 8, 2010

Day #7--Something You're Glad You Did This Week

My birthday was last week. Taking the boys on a field trip for school, frittering a lot of time on Thrones, Dominations, and eating a lot of extremely yummy food were not the only unusual things that I did.

After music classes, it was so hot that I got out the kiddie pool. And I let Wombles hold the hose while it was being filled. Glee.


Then, instead of breathing a sigh of relief that the boys had somewhere safe to burn off some energy and running inside to hide in relative coolness, I pulled a chair over to the shade afforded by the playset and sat down to watch.


It was therapeutic and an unlooked-for gift. I cannot believe how restorative it was to be sitting and enjoying my children--and not doing anything else. I remember thinking, I should go in and... but then their infectious laughter (combined with their delight that I was watching them race and do cannonballs into the pool) made me think, No, this is a good thing. I am not wasting my time. Then I thought, I should call someone and catch up if I'm just sitting here.

Nope. I should sit here and enjoy the zany delight of a kiddie pool, two brothers, and their mom on a 100-degree day.

I got a lot of great gifts on my birthday. But I think the best one was the combo gift of an awareness of the incredible richness of my life, and a deep sense of gratefulness for it. And delight in it!

Wombles' face captures it pretty well:

1 comment:

covcov said...

Thanks for helping us be grandparents by being such a good mom!
Boppy

Oh! I remember! I, also afflicted by the oughts of an over-achiever, learned the joys of motherhood in disciplined sitting and loving my kids! It is lasting joy; you won't miss anything that really mattered, and you have chosen the better part. Love 'em. We love you!
G'ma S