Perhaps you remember my challenge from back on Day #2. Well, having gone through all of those brussels sprouts, and having not been able to find them at Trader Joe's for a while, I happened upon them again last week.
And unlike J., I bought TWO stalks! One for having when we feel like it, and one for Thanksgiving. Mmm--mmm good. And I'll think of some other vegetable for the children to eat. It is a holiday, after all.
Except for Wombles. He likes brussels sprouts, and artichokes, and asparagus.
Anyway, it was great fun breaking off all of the sprouts. And then we were left with the two stalks. As J went to go put them in the green bin, he paused and asked, "How much fun do you think the boys would have playing with these?"
We decided to leave them out, wondering how long it would take them to decide to use them as some kind of medieval weapon.
The next morning, one of the kids saw them out the sliding glass door and asked what they were. "Brussels Sprout stalks."
Later, when it was time for them to go outside for recess, I set my stopwatch. I wanted to know just how long, exactly, it would take someone to find them and use them as a club or sword or something.
The answer: Just less than two minutes.
Wombles was the first to capitalize on new technology. Suddenly, Bud's Nerf gun didn't seem quite the thing.

So then Bud, of course, went and found the other one.

They were able to parry for a short while before Pixie saw what was going on and capitalized on the opportunity to write, stage and direct a new script. She was the princess in the tower (naturally).

Bud was her defender, and Wombles was the "bad guy."

As executive producer, I eventually stepped in and reworked it so there were two knights fighting against another enemy... and things went very well for our heroes (not so well for the dragons).
If only we could say the same for our gridiron heroes!
No comments:
Post a Comment