Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day #3--Tell about a resentment you've gotten over.

I would have to say the bad rap that the month of November gets. My birthday is in November (today, actually) and all my life it's been the dreary month, charmingly demonstrated by the fact that calendar-makers worldwide put the "ugly" picture on November. It's true. Don't believe me? Go check. It may just be that you never had any reason to pay attention to November!

Ahem.

Exhibit A: The April and May months from next year's calendar.



Exhibit B: November.



Not to slam on Muskoxen, but come on.

I remember reading Little Women for the first time and coming to the chapter that opens with (paraphrase) "November is the very worst month!" I closed my eyes in frustration and rested the book. When I opened my eyes again, I read the next sentence: "That's why I was born in it." Thanks, Jo.

However, living where we do now, November is one of the best months. Perhaps the clearest skies of the year with crisp mornings but lovely and warm (92 today). I finally get to have summer for my birthday, and I'm lovin' it.


So, take THAT, National Wildlife Federation!

**UPDATE: So, apparently I haven't actually gotten over my resentment. Or there would have been no "take that!" to a calendar publisher. At least I'm a bit removed from the temptation?

2 comments:

The Guff said...

hm. are you going nuts? today is not your birthday.
But I will be talking to you tomorrow:) I LOVE YOU!!!

covcov said...

Okay. So we're in hysterics. Partly at your writing, partly at The Guff's response! No wonder when we called you said it had been 100 today ON YOUR BIRTHDAY. Ah, motherhood. So little reason to keep the date in mind....

And yes, the calendar-makers can eat their hearts out at SB. Wow!

Love you. Happy birthday!!
D & S