Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day #27--Music




We had music at Thanksgiving. It was great. Boppy led the kids (and grown-ups) in singing with his guitar, and it is wonderful.

At some point, Pixie--at least, I think it was Pixie and not Bud--lobbied for me to get out my flute and play along. This was both exciting and embarrassing.

Exciting because I've just started to pull it out again over the past year--and embarrassing because, having done so, I know just how pitchy I currently am, and how shot my embouchure is. Ew! Fuzzy sounds! Low endurance!

But exciting won, and it was really fun. Even when I terrorized "Jingle Bells" within an inch of its life.

And then M got on the piano, and there were trios and duets. So FUN!

Side note to my mother: Yes, I will admit that as much as I wanted to play the drums, the flute was really a more practical choice for me. "Something with a melody" means I can play and enjoy it even by myself. I can flip open the hymnal to look for a friendly key signature, or turn on the iPod and play along with something. Also, there's no way I would have hauled a drums set through all of our moves and apartments, which I could do with the flute, even though it lay dormant for many years.

Today is the first day of Advent. I took a lo--oooong nap this afternoon. After I emerged from our room, I found that J had been playing his trumpet for the kids. A quick google search (after discovering that I couldn't transpose "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" on the fly) and we have four or five pieces to work on together this season. I am so excited! Carol of the Bells, anyone?

Tonight J and I have taken a few minutes to jam. It's been very fun. Reminds me a little of...pre-child days. Only now there are children enjoying the music with us!...or tolerating it, depending on how we're doing. But mostly enjoying, I think.

We've had hot cider, and there are white lights on the porch...an Advent wreath on the table...and warm coziness. The weather has even cooperated and cooled off a bit, making coziness seem really yummy. J is reading aloud. Happy Advent!

1 comment:

Nona Bee said...

I am sooooo excited you are playing your flute again!! I am looking forward to seeing you all, and 'spoiling yall', if I may!!
I think the year I would not let you play the drums, a young lady who won the Miss America pageant won with a talent of percussion, on the marimba...I've made other mistakes in my life too!! ;0)
love you--