Saturday, March 6, 2010

Science Friday--Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me...

Last week it was actually Science Sunday and Thursday, but I'm feeling a little nostalgic for the days when NPR and I had a closer relationship. I wonder how NPR is doing? Does NPR ever think of me? We had so many great drives together, so many afternoons while I prepped in my classroom at good old St. Joesph Grade School.

Nevermind.

I am not a very science-y person, so am I VERY glad to be around others who are. Specifically, others who are willing to teach my children. For example:

el domingo pasado, we were driving home from church and Bud wanted to know who invented cars, and then how they worked, etc. This is typical Bud. We'll be driving along, and he will pipe up: "Mom? What kinds of animals like to move around at night?" Or, "Mom? Will you tell me again how volcanoes are made?" And then he relentlessly pursues with more questions until he's exhausted my knowledge.

Fortunately, on Sunday J was driving and answering car questions. In the midst of this, J. remembered making a steam engine at home as a kid (please see "CovCov"'s hilarious comment on my last post). After naptime, they decided to try to build the thing!


I would like to say this was a family project, but I was zonked in a chair in the backyard for the entire construction segment. I made it back in for the trial, though. I just loooooove Sunday afternoons.

What do you need to make a steam engine, you may ask? A soda can, cork, candles, and something lightweight with wheels.


You put some water in the can, and then when it begins to boil the steam comes out of a little hole and propels the whole contraption forward.


That's the idea, anyway. This one didn't quite work as planned, but the kids thought it was really cool. And I love being married to someone with the initiative to give it a try. I love that the kids understand the concept, even though the "car" didn't go...and that they learned it's okay to give something a shot and not have it work out. As planned, anyway.




Then, on Thursday, my friend M. came over after a science fair promo/demonstration at the local school. She brought one for us to do! She measured in the vinegar and baking soda, and I timed how long it took to shoot the top off.

I also tried to take pictures, and sometimes my timings were not accurate (really, really not good at being a science person).


Once the cap went up on the roof. I was just going to leave the cap up there, maybe until J got home, maybe forever--seeing as how ladders and roofs and I have a very tense relationship. We really should never be in the same room.

Even though I shouldn't have let her, I forgot about that part and M. waltzed right up the steps and onto the roof. It was beautiful.

I was so relieved.

The kids thought it was awesome.


Science Thursday!


I am so thankful for the reminders--both in your kind and funny comments, and in watching my week unfold--that I am not shouldering the real burden, and I'm not doing any of this alone.

No comments: