Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Music to my Ears

J is in the next room, practicing his trumpet, "following the deep, inscrutable desires of his heart."

It is really fun for me to hear that he is picking out some of the same hymns I turn to when I have to pull out my flute, which I haven't done since just before Christmas.

Tonight we had our supper swap friends over here at dinner. Sometimes we have challenging and thought-provoking discussions. Sometimes my mind takes an awkward turn like a cart hitting a rock and I feel insecure about everything I'm doing. Other times, like tonight, there is lots of laughter. One of the beautiful things about the regular getting-together is that one night with the kids going crazy doesn't flavor the whole relationship. Nor does sitting around, watching the kids play on the patio, musing on which one is going to get hurt first (as it so happens, there were no serious casualties tonight, and they all mostly had fun). The lots-of-laughter was really good for me tonight. I have been feeling a bit tired and disappointed, and then feel bad/sad when I take it out on the kids. Poor things. They'll probably be very glad when I go back to work.

I am in the midst of three weeks off: I start again after Easter. Which meant that today I was able to go and see Pixie's ballet class for the only time all year. It was sweet, lovely, and hilarious.

I haven't downloaded photos from our trip to Maryland yet. Maybe tomorrow? We had a wonderful time!

I can't believe that Holy Week is almost upon us already. This is the season in which I particularly miss being in Wheaton at our wonderful church.

May you find yourself with songs of praise on your lips this week!

No comments: