Monday, March 8, 2010

One reason I Love PW

I've mentioned the Pioneer Woman's blog before, haven't I?

Her recipes are wonderful. They also come with the step-by-step directions (and photos) I need. You know the sort: "This is how you peel an onion." Or, "This is what blackened onion looks like." I can always count on inspiration from either her site or Tasty Kitchen.

When NBG gave me PW's cookbook, for Christmas, I was over the moon. It was SIGNED TO ME! I think that's when I was so excited that I missed NBG's little announcement that Baby Guff was on the way. Whoops.

There are other fun parts of PW's site--the photography section (Mom, your India photo should be a finalist!!), Home and Garden, Confessions...and Homeschooling.

Here's one of my very favorite quotes from that section:

Lots of people support our decision to homeschool. Some are quietly guarded. Others think we’re mentally ill. I vacillate between all three myself. Believe me, if you’re shaking your head reading this, I understand. If you think I’m a nutjob, I totally get it. If you think my kids will grow up to be weird, you’re probably right. And if you think I’m a freak? You’re right on the money.

But you know what? It works for us.


I'd read it before, but I'm really feeling it this week. It also does a good capturing what the past week has been like.

We had a great morning at school today--We started two weeks on the Persians (very cool) and I've found resources over the weekend that make it much more interesting for me...which translates to interesting for P B & W, believe it or not. I LOVE starting each day with a different Persian folk tale! OK, so we've only had one day so far. But I have enough books for all week--and after the Babylonians and Assyrians, I'm loving the color and curviness of the Persians. We happen to be at Esther in our Story Bible, which is so perfect: I read that to the children over lunch. Earlier we had read about the Medes and Persians, so when I say that the "Law of the Medes and Persians cannot be changed," P & B not only know who the Medes and Persians were but where their empire was and why their laws couldn't be changed. It's fun to watch their little brains working as they interrupt the story to "explain" things to me.

So today is a good day. In a given week we may have one of those, plus a really really bad one and three average ones.

Speaking of really really bad ones...

Today was the day J came home to be with the boys while I taught. He works during their naptime, and then they watch a movie while he works some more. WELL...

Today he spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Verizon getting our internet fixed. THEN he discovered that Bud has been peeing in a corner of the front room behind a chair--JUST FOR FUN! After cleaning THAT up, he started work--only to have L come by to pick up some things I was to give her for Bible Club tomorrow morning. They couldn't be found--J trying to MAKE some to give her--she's leaving, and they find them where I left the bag hanging on the doorknob. In the midst of all that, C.M. stops by to pick up bedding I'd promised to lend. It was in a Sterilite box by the door, but J didn't know that (I hadn't told him about that, either). There were no sheets left to lend because I'd already packed them up. Poor J. What a rotten afternoon!

I can only hope his wonderful day will be tomorrow, when he's being observed again for mid-tenure review.

I'm working tonight on Matthew 23, which is my next Bible Study assignment (seriously. I know. Look it up). I'm also doing a little planning for Pixie's birthday party. And our upcoming trip.

As J used to say when we were at WTS, "Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times!"

Speaking of WTS, the author of the new resource I'm loving for history took an M.Div. there 7 years before I went!

And, *scene*
(here ends stream-of-consciousness blogpost).

No comments: