Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jesusita Fire

So, this afternoon I went with a friend down to Ventura to take Pixie to a doctor's appointment and...that's right...hit Target (it's the closest one). We had a great afternoon, but while I was shopping (in another store, actually) the phone rang and it was J. His news? Another fire in Santa Barbara. It is several miles from us, but he wanted me to be aware (and not freaked out) when I drove back up the coast and saw the billowing clouds of smoke. And, they are pretty ominous!

I love this shot that he took, though: smoke from the new fire in the background, while the roof trusses are going up on our neighbors' house, which burned down in the last fire:



We got home and I wanted to blog and get the word out. I asked him where the camera was, and he sheepishly said: "In the gray suitcase next to the front door." And there it was, complete with all the things we would need in the event of an evacuation. Next to it is the bag with all of our love letter from our courtship-across-the-sea. He has weed whacked all around the hill next to our home, and is currently sawing limbs off of a "fire ladder" tree next to our bedroom. He is an amazing man!

I'll try to let you know if there's an update. I expect we'll be fine--the authorities have time to respond to this one, unlike last time. We appreciate your prayers, particularly for the folks over in the San Roque/Mission canyon area.

We are forecast for "sundowner" winds tonight. It may be hard to sleep.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love you all!!
nona

JMB said...

Love to you two and the kiddies. I hope they are handling the scary smoke as well as... well... only your adorable, understanding children can do. <3