We received a phone call at about 7:30 this morning informing us of the evacuation order that had been extended to our neighborhood. The call was from one of our neighbors who lost his home in the last fire, and heard about it on the radio. I had been off of the phone with my brother, who was checking in on us, for about 10 minutes.
Within minutes there was a patrol car driving through the neighborhood with a loudspeaker, telling everyone that we needed to leave. As we were nearly packed, you wouldn't think it would take us long...given the luxury of warning and time, we took over an our to get out the door this time.
We spent the first part of the day at a playground by the beach, and then in Ventura. Target and Barnes & Noble!! We were with another family, our dear friends whom you've seen in our refugee Thanksgiving post. We came back tonight for baccalaureate at Westmont and are staying with the same dear folks from church who took us in after the Tea fire. After graduation tomorrow we plan to go spend some time with J.'s grandmother...Mother's Day weekend--perfect! We were just talking about going down for Sunday anyway, before all of this fire business! :) Funny, I don't generally post when we are going to be gone--but no-one is getting up the hill to our house, so it doesn't matter.
The fire is not--currently--threatening homes in Montecito; Praise the Lord! The winds overnight will play a big part in whether that remains the case. Overnight is when the winds tend to blow hard around here, so it's hard to know what you'll wake up to in the morning.
The house we are in has a panoramic view of the entire fire line...it is pretty big. The children are doing well, better now than when we had to leave this morning. I really appreciate your prayers. we are doing well. God is faithful.
Love,
Holly
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm so glad to have the updates on how you guys are doing. I've been praying and worrying periodically throughout the day. You seem so calm... The whole thing seems surreal to me. I can't even imagine what it all must be like, especially since when we were out to visit it was so green and dare I say damp :)
Hey, Hol & Jess--Thanks so much for keeping this up in troubled times. I loved thinking of you safe and comfy at the Jacobsen's writing at the end of a trying day. Thanks for giving us the window into your world as our hearts are straining your way. Love you all so much, and praying and praying and praying. Hugs--
S & D
We're praying for and loving you guys in Georgia.
Post a Comment