Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Jesusita, Day 2: Or, "It got windy again."


Around 2:30 this afternoon, the fire kicked up from being barely-there to sending up tons of billowing smoke, like yesterday...only perhaps a bit closer (not much). By 4:00 or so, the flames had crested the ridge such that we could see them from our yard, which is surreal. I know people could do that with our fire in November, but we had about 15 minutes before we headed out, and saw very little flame until most of the damage was done. It's very odd to have so much time this time around, to see what's happening "live."


Official firefighting authorities are not worried about us, in spite of the dramatic photos we have (dramatic for me anyway, but maybe I'm alarmist when it comes to fire?). We're still about 300 yards east of the evacuation warning area. This time around we've time to make a list of things we want to bring, and to pack our "go" bags (everyone should have one!). We had friends over for dinner, a last minute band-together time with dear friends from up the street (who probably saved their home in November by turning on their sprinklers before they left). They have their bags packed, too, although no one really thinks we'll need them. Still, yesterday I told Bud (who really really wanted to see flames) that I didn't think we'd see any flames. So we'll see.



Houses a few canyons over have started burning, though. I see that we've made CNN. We continue to pray with Charlie that "God will push the fire away, like he did last time, so that our house won't burn down". I pray he will do that over in San Roque, and Mission Canyon, and Palomino Road...

We are in the flight path of the aircraft, so Wombles has been yelling "copter" all day. Bud like the airplanes. In general I think the children have been doing really well. They are understandably occasionally fearful, but they can also be amusingly matter-of-fact. Tonight the strain seemed to be telling a bit, and I'm glad everyone's in bed now.

Did you notice our neighbors' house? There's a roof! And almost one on the garage! :)

1 comment:

Kim Johnson said...

That first photo with the sun behind the smoke is really awesome (and awe inspiring).