

A week or two ago, I caught these two clowns playing in our back yard:

I love them both so much. It's almost impossible to believe that they could have ever looked like this:

But the resemblance is clear, and anyway, I still remember them fighting over those toys. They fight over other things now--yet are still very close friends. I treasure that. What a gift to get to watch them grow and change and grow some more, all while being their very own selves.

We've lived here four and-a-half years now, longer than that cowboy on the left has been breathing air. And having been able to watch he and Santiago learn to talk and play with each other gave me extra delight as I captured these moments:


I am excited to see how Nutmeg and Shalom (all code names!) grow up together, too. When Shalom's mom was laboring to bring her out into the world, many of us in the neighborhood had a small candle lit in our homes to remind us to pray for her(them). And we didn't know whether Nutmeg was He or She! That seems so recent-- and now Nutmeg and Shalom get to hang out a couple of times a week. So looking forward to their shenanigans as they grow up.


It is a blessing to be in one place long enough to watch the seeds you plant flower, to watch the trees you plant bear fruit...and to watch the babies born form friendships...and to have a few of your own, too. Friendships, is what I meant. But babies, too! And the moms of these two kids are two dear, dear friends here with whom I get to share many aspects of life.

So grateful.
So grateful, too, for a slow Sunday afternoon that bakes me hot in the sun while I get to catch up over the phone with my sister, and hear about her sweet two-week-old son. Just today we've started discussing kid swaps in years to come, so the cousins can hang out and be friends, too.
Nutmeg's napping, and everyone else in the family is at the pool. Mmmm. Happy Sunday, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment