Saturday, December 18, 2010

Let it Snow, Let it Snow...

Catching raindrops instead of snowflakes



Snow isn't really an option here. I mean, it's technically possible, I admit. Here are other things that are technically possible:

(1) Wombles to never "go" in his pants again
(2) Me to keep up with laundry

So today, as it rains and rains and rains, I am thinking a couple of things.

(1) I knew I should have taken the kids shopping and to the beach yesterday;
(2) With 5 days of rain forecast, I am preparing to further explore the reaches of insanity.

This morning J called from work with a suggestion compliments of Ruby Jeanne, who works with him and has raised four boys (FOUR. Two of them twins): Just let them go outside anyway.

I had just about come to this conclusion myself, in spite of my aversion to all messes that can possibly be avoided. There are so many that can't be avoided (like my spilling apple cider on the floor this morning; check) that I really really want to hold the line when I can.

But today, in spite of the little bits of grass and mud and water and sticks that would inevitably become semi-permanent house guests as a result, The Three got duded out in rain gear and went outside to play. I'm sorry to say that Pixie and Bud mostly just got to play in the mud and mist before they got too cold and came in (directly to shower and tub, which they thought was a warm and yummy treat. EVERYONE'S HAPPY!!).

But Wombles stayed out. Wombles stayed out for as long as I would let him. He was just as excited to be out in the rain as I used to be about being out in the snow.

While we've had a rainy fall, it's still not so normal as to lose its mystique. And getting to go out and play in it is fun when you are three, whether you live in Wheaton:


Or SB.


And if one grinning boy wets his pants underneath his raincoat, you can barely even tell.

No comments: