You've probably picked up on that this year, with my blogging about wanting to get all Christmas prep done before Advent so that we could actually celebrate...Advent. It has made for a peaceful and intentional time.
And I want Christmas as a season, too. Not a day, and not four weeks of getting ready for it (that is, spiritually speaking, Advent). I want ALL TWELVE DAYS OF IT.
And then a party at Epiphany.
Is that too much to ask? Mwahahaha.
On last Sunday, the third Sunday of Advent, we decorated our tree. I plan to post on the whole tree-procurement/trimming festivities soon. But I wanted to share two quotes from the lunch table on Sunday that I found deeply gratifying:
Wombles: "It's Christmas!"
--No, not yet.
"Yes it is! We have a CHRISTMAS TREE!!!"
And also:
Pixie: "We got our tree up early this year."
No, not that early. It's December 13th.
Pixie: "Well, it's only just the third week of Advent!"
I may never have us trim the tree on Christmas Eve (which I think would be very nice). But I'm more than a little pleased that the three wees are gaining a sense of the rhythm of the year, and are not collapsing all of December into "Christmas." This is our first year of a "go" at real intentionality, and I hope we can figure out what things work/how to make it a more worshipful time as things evolve and we experiment.
We've added fun things too, like "The Elf on the Shelf," which Uncle D. and Auntie M. gave the kids for Christmas last year. Our tradition is slightly modified--it would have to be after the adoption of "Christmas Goody-Goody" as a classic around here--but the kids LOVE waking up each morning and hunting for the Elf. They take it very seriously, making sure they don't start looking until everyone is ready for the hunt.

Here's a peek at my pinking-shears finished Advent purple (as well as Sunday morning cinnamon rolls and sausage, of course):

It would be fun to have the purple out all week long, but as the kitchen table is also the school table it doesn't work. So the Advent wreath lives on top of the item formerly-known-as-the-tea- cabinet (now the school locker/cubbies) during the week.
Bud really wanted me to take this picture:

I assure you, he does not really know how to use the lighter. Nor is he allowed to tinker with it in order to find out. But he really, really wanted to pretend to light the candles, and so he did that for a while.
So much to tell you! Adventures in potty-training, the quest for the tree, and How a Control Freak Survived Three Small Children Trimming the Tree (one day out of my autobiography).
Also, I'm taking a poll: How do you feel about Christmas cards? What do you do? I'm planning a new tack this year, slightly modified from my basic tradition since 2005. More later.
But it's taken me three days to get this up, so I'm off for now. On the agenda this evening? Among other things, TALKING ABOUT BABY NAMES.
And having a chocolate chip cookie.
H
2 comments:
Christmas cards: I'm a fan!! I have not bought any or sent any out this year..not on purpose, but the trouble I have is wanting to write a personal note in each one...and I have not the time. Every card I open here takes me back to a memory...usually a good one!! ;00
I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YALL!!!
In your shoes I might find a blog post a happy alternative for most Christmas cards. Thank you for the sweet pictures, and the humorous and stirring reflections. Love and prayers,
Boppy
Post a Comment