Thursday, September 16, 2010

Time Out



I feel like all I've talked about lately is how our little school is going. I guess it is the start of a new school year, and things are going well, which is fun. But it's not the only thing in the works. Oh no!

This week was my first week back at teaching after school Spanish at the local elementary school. I think it's going to go well--I'm really happy with it, when I take time to think about how I feel about it--and since I'm teaching one less class per day than last year, it seems much more do-able.

Plus the kindergarten class hasn't started yet. Gravy! Except all of my things were packed up and moved. So I'm spending that time sorting things out. What great timing!

Also, this week and next I get to teach at our neighborhood women's Bible study. I find this an incredibly rewarding and draining exercise....and one that I should be working on right now, as a matter of fact. This year we are doing 1st and 2nd Samuel. Since I had the first study this week, I got to prep a bit of an introduction, and it really blew my hair back (as J says). Wow! I can't wait to spend more time with it!

Except for the stressful reality that I spent about a month, off and on, working on this week's. And so far I've spent a little of yesterday working on next week's. YIKES!

So, uh, literally, I can't wait to spend more time with it. Must go now. I will try to resurface soon, in spite of the mini-conference at church this weekend (which I may or may not be able to attend; see above) and getting ready for Wombles' third birthday next week. Seriously, third?

Can someone please send potty-training tips? I was asking for them from a friend recently, and her seven-year-old daughter ran and got me a book that she thought would be helpful. You might want to check it out-- American Girls Dolls' Bitty Twins Go Potty (there are tips for parents in the back). The only trouble is that my three-year-old exhibits none of the signs of readiness that are usually evidenced in a 15-month-old (at least, according to the book). Sure, if he's really in the mood for jelly bellies and the timing's right, he might just poop in the potty. But more likely not.

I went and visited my sweet brand-new niece last month and saw her itty-bitty diapers. When I came home, Wombles was obviously way too big for diapers anymore. He's unconvinced.

I'd like to point out that I do have two other children who regularly use the potty (OK, Bud sometimes uses the yard, and has been known to use the garage or the corner in the front room behind the chair...but those are entirely intentional).

Where was I? Samuel.

PS Here's who we had over to lunch one recent Sunday. We thought there were five students coming to church...but there were 13.



PPS In case you're wondering about the can at the top: Sweetened Condensed Milk. I have recently learned to make caramel. My last batch was actually like the candy...I think it WAS the candy! My favorite part? "Good Source of Calcium." Hmmmm. Yummy source? Yes. Good...?

1 comment:

covcov said...

I'm amazed you have time to use the potty yourself.
My dad introduced me to Eagle Brand, Borden's sweetened condensed milk; he loved it poured over shredded wheat that had been first doused in hot water. Glad the caramel is working as well as the rest of your domestic economy!
Blessings,
Boppy