Sunday, January 3, 2010

Home for Christmas - Part II


One of the fun things about our time in Georgia was how the kids made DD and Nona's house their own. And I'm not talking about merely cosmetic changes, such as leaving toys and other ...treasures... strewn over and under everything in the house. I'm talking about conceptual changes. For example, one room in my parents' house has been "the new den" ever since my parents enclosed the carport back in 1995. "Where are my shoes?" --"I saw them in thenewden."

At some point on this trip, our children decided it should be called the "playroom." So that's what they called it. And to be sure, much playing was done there.

There was musical play (and I mean more than just Country and Western Singin' Elmo, which Wombles pushed around incessantly in a stroller).


There was sports play (honestly, DD and Nona? a tricycle inside the house? Antique or no, Bud cornered on it like he was driving a racecar...which he thought he was. Thank you for never telling him it was a decoration). But I was talking about Wombles, who ran around with Uncle J's old football helmet. I think if he had looked up at the sky, he would have fallen over backwards.

First and TEN! Do it AGAIN!


There was also roughhousing. I'd like to point out that this series of shots was taken very shortly before J and I left town on our aforementioned anniversary trip. What my parents must have been thinking! DD and the boys had been playing for a while before I got the camera. I love watching the clock over the door move through the progression of shots (I'm not posting all 47ish shots here...). The boys decided that the blue chair was "base," a concept not formerly known to Wombles but immediately adopted from Bud's usage.


From the blue chair they would taunt DD that he couldn't get them.


When he left, they would stage an ambush.

After much wrestling, piling on, and attempts to squash, they would roll off and be easy prey.

Back to the blue chair!

Repeat.

Comin' for you, DD!


Here's a picture of a good sport:


It was a room for grown-ups to play, too. More soon. It takes a while to get through all 1,031 photos from our trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SWEET SWEET SWEET memories!!
thanks for posting!!
much love to you all
XOXOXOXO
nona