Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Day at the Farm--postscript


Wombles is having a rough morning. He has thrown up twice. Poor Wombles! In the spirit of "Poor Wombles", I will relate his incident from the farm. And hope that "we" (meaning I) can survive Day 5 of inside play. Aaaaggggghhh!

As we were wrapping up our time at the farm, we had another round of hayrides. J, the boys and I rode around while Pixie and Nona gathered pecans and then lay in wait for us --a pecan ambush!

On the wagon we noticed a large, unusual bug. J took it off at the end of the ride to photograph it on the picnic table. When he left to go put away the wagon with DD, Nona and I were tidying and Wombles started playing with the bug. I guess he picked him up, then put him back down. At this point my mom saw Wombles recoil as if struck; we all heard him start screaming. I grabbed him but he was inconsolable. His eye was very red...from crying? There was a funny smell. We rushed him to the water spigot. About that time he was able to come out with "...that bug...put water in my EEYYEEEE!"

We stripped him to the waist and gave him an eye wash (he LOVED that) before dressing him again. His eye was puffy. It was probably around 40 degrees. He started talking about "that bad bug squirt me" (I'm sure he deserved it). Nona squished the bug. DD contacted someone at a UGA center who identified it. A little web research revealed that a cousin of this bug (if not this variety) was found to spit a substance that was corrosive to plastic...

Poor Wombles!

1 comment:

The Guff said...

What?! Poor wombles:( That bug does look fierce. I love you:)