Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Post-Pumpkin (Or, the not-so-great)

It was so warm and sunny on Sunday morning that we brought our jack-o-lanterns in off of the front porch (which gets full morning sun). We wouldn't want them to rot! They can be cut up and cooked into yummy things!

So we brought them in...and today I noticed that Bud's was a little...saggy. Down in the mouth, or at heel, or whatever. Certainly not the fine, upstanding Jack we'd brought in.

I walked over for a closer look. The objects-formerly-known-as-pumpkins were each perched on top of a bookcase. I reached up to Bud's...and squish.

(This is the moment when I want the real grown-ups to swoop in and clean up my kid-style innocent make-a-mess; it really can't be MY job to clear a rotting pumpkin off of a shelf taller than I am..can it? Much less get the mushy, oozing mass out of the house without further casualties).

As there were no available grown-ups, I bagged the thing up and almost had it outside to the trash when I heard the pocket door open. It was Bud, in the midst of his quiet time, wondering what on earth I was doing. I tried to divert, but I needn't have bothered.

He was not traumatized by the loss of Jack. Oh, no. He just wanted to squish his fingers in there. So I took the bag into the backyard and turned him loose.

This is the super-rotten part he pulled off of the bottom.


That black stuff is not dirt. So. Gross.

So worth a half hour of bliss for him and quiet for me. I almost got through my Tim Keller sermon.

And there's always Pixie's equally blackened-with-mold but not quite yet supremely squishy pumpkin...for tomorrow.

No comments: