Wednesday, October 14, 2009

99-cents Asparagus

I will NOT tell you how long I spent searching my keyboard for the cent symbol. I began with a warm happy feeling of, "Yes! I get to use the cent symbol! I don't think I've ever used it before!". Then, a dark, growing sense of maybe, just maybe, that's because there isn't one. Nonsense. That would be so unfair...the dollar gets a space!

I have given up. If there is one, please don't tell me. But it seems ridiculous to spell out "cents." Also, I think it should be "99-cent" asparagus, but that plural (99, no less) induces me to use "cents". Obviously, I should be planning my Spanish lessons. Like you and everyone else, I have better things to do than figure out the two separate "cent" dilemmas (neither of which I was prepared for this evening).

I know at least one of my friends is an editor. Could you help...please?

All I wanted to do--really--was let you see what the Cov household looks like when Vons has asparagus on sale for 99 cents per pound.



It is so beautiful, you can use it instead of flower arrangements.


It looks very nice all lined up in mugs or pitchers.



It is so, so yummy.



This is how we could stand to throw some into quesadillas, for goodness' sake.

Oh, how I love asparagus.

This is the batch that J got late last week (#4, 350) when he was doing a late-night grocery store run (#4, 349). I had already gone earlier in the week and gotten plenty for me AND my friend.

Asparagus is one of God's special treats for us. Yum.

That's all. (See? The dilemmas came out of nowhere!!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES!!the asparagus is beautiful!! you could send one of your photos to PW!!!I could jsut see you smiling when you took these shots...ummmm...love aparagus too, but we don't get it for 99 cents a pound....luv you!mom

Hol Cov said...

We only get it at that rate twice a year...when it is in season. That week was the fall week. There are usually two weeks in the spring...often at Easter. We load up then, too. Otherwise it is NOT affordable! :) So we eat a year's worth! As Margaret says, "It's easier than you think to eat seasonally and locally. Just eat whatever is really, really on sale at Von's."