The weather this week makes me think of that scene in the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch of the West has been doused with water and starts shrieking, "I'm Melting! I'm Meeeeltiing..." which is a slightly disturbing phrase to have running through one's head, if only because those creepy flying monkeys it may bring to mind, too.
When I was growing up in the South, a little thing called "103 degrees on the back patio" wouldn't have bothered me much. I used to think I was so tough...maybe I was, but I think there were two contributing factors to my toughness: (1) I worked all summer at a swimming pool and (2) Our house had air conditioning. Here in SB we have about 14 days out of any given year where aire acondicionado would be helpful, which just isn't worth the investment.
Yesterday to fight off the hot-weather blues we had an epic water war. In addition to the roses and figs previously mentioned, MaII on a recent visit brought a water-bomb set. You know, the kind with the funnel for speedily filling water balloons. All 5 of us got in on the action, sneaking/tearing around the house in teams and pelting each other (OK, Wombles ust popped them on himself). It was GREAT FUN.
There are many, many fires a-burning in California, but none so near to us as to dump ash on everything. We are thankful and praying. I have even heard from family in Spain that the LA fires have made the news there! Wow...it's that time of year again, where the right weather conditions combined with a cigarette tossed out of a window can wreak devastation here. I am finding myself a little raw emotionally now that the sundowners are starting up again and the weather has finally warmed up after a cool-ish summer.
This afternoon J took Pixie and Bud to the beach. I heard all about an epic sandcastle, as well as Pixie's surfing shenanigans!
Happy New Week...
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
SO glad you guys are safe this year-end! We LOVE YOU!!! SO odd that it's cool here for a change and you guys are the hot ones!
Post a Comment