Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Little Quiet

We have cruised into the second week of school, and although there are some rough patches they are mostly relational rather than curricular. As far as learning and doing the tasks set before us, I'm pretty encouraged (in spite of the fact that I've been shipped the wrong item--TWICE--for Bud's math meeting book. Two different vendors. Here's hoping three's a charm?). Figuring out what love looks like, while growing (I hope) in patience, kindness, justice, mercy, and righteousness, are things that don't happen very easily in isolation...and we have the four of us around the kitchen table every morning. Great. (I will repeat: great. And again: great. And at some point I will have an easier time believing it when it's been an awful day, and not just on the sunshiny ones!).

OK, enough of run-on sentences and gratuitous punctuation usage. I am writing during our daily "quiet time," that midday siesta when Wombles takes his nap and the other two take some quiet. Pixie is devouring Beverly Cleary books (I've started rationing); I can hear Bud listening to "Little House in the Big Woods" on CD...again. This afternoon window is when I eat lunch (I usually read to them during theirs), clean up, do some reading...and spend too much time on the computer.

So off I go to listen to some New Life Glenside Women's Bible Study lectures, which I hope will help prep me for our local study this year.

Before I go, though, I wanted to share my new find of the day. It was sent to me by a local homeschooling mom (thanks, Barbi!): LibriVox. It's an open-source site where you can download free audio of books that are in the public domain...or volunteer to read a chapter or two!

Also, here are some recent late-night, check-on-the-kids photos. So sweet. Every night completely recharges my affection batteries!! :)






In the time it has taken me to upload the photos, Wombles started yelling. He wanted more books. I went in and decided that naptime books were a bad idea today--no sleep happening, and he's exhausted. He is now shrilly screaming in rage over those books. I even hear beating on something. Oi.

Really, I meant a little quiet. :)

No comments: