
Pixie has been having migraines since she was about two-and-a-half, although I didn't know it at the time. I remember going to visit a church in Wheaton shortly after we moved there. My mom was with me (J was at a conference) and Bud was about 6 weeks old. Uncharacteristically Pixie kept throwing fits, screaming, and thrashing. It seemed like a crazy temper tantrum. Finally, getting out of the car in the parking lot at the church I realized there was no way we could take this little girl in...she was COMPLETELY out of control. We got back in the car and headed down Roosevelt towards the Target area. For some reason I turned into a neighborhood--I can't remember WHAT I was going to show my mom (Pixie had calmed down after we gave her some headache medicine, purchased at Target). All of a sudden Pixie was throwing up like crazy in the car. I pulled over, and as Mom and I were trying to comfort Pixie and mop things up, a woman came out of her house. When we explained what was going on, she brought us a couple of bottles of water and a roll of paper towels to clean up with. Amazing. Sometime around then, my ardent love for mid-westerners was cemented (it began when a driver motioned me into his lane when I thought I was out of luck in South Bend, Indiana, on our first visit after years of ruthless drivers & driving in Philly).
Flash forward four years, and now I know what we're dealing with. And again--for the second time in 10 days--Pixie is throwing up. The only complaint is that her head hurts...horribly...on one side. It is really rare that there are two this close together. She is in a lot of pain and has been since she woke up this morning. She's not able to keep down any pain meds. :(
This morning a neighbor-friend-fellow-homeschooler came and taught her fourth-grader at my kitchen table, because I had a commitment I believed I needed to keep. Pixie slept nearly the whole time I was gone--I don't think she realized I really WAS gone--but even so it was hard to be away. And hard that she is still having such a hard time. I am so grateful to Beth, for coming and being here, though. She's not from around here, either. But we're both longing for the same home, and we'll both be from there someday, which colors where we're from today. She loves us with a love that is more than her own.
Thank you, Beth.
No comments:
Post a Comment