
Monday, as I wrapped up math with Pixie, I looked around for Bud. I have developed an internal timer for when one of the boys has been off the radar for too long. Fully expecting to find him down on the terrace (good) or hanging out at a neighbor's (not-so), I looked out the sliding glass door.
And then I saw him, his back to me, sitting on the top step with his back hunched over his Home Depot Kids' Workshop whiteboard. He was fully engaged with whatever it was he was writing: he would write, then wipe off the word with the mistake, and then carry on. Finally I opened the door, telling it was time for him to get his shoes on and head up to Chinese (there is another homeschooling family a few houses up the street where he and Pixie go twice a week to take Chinese. How amazing is that?!?).
By that time, I had already seen what he was working on. Knife to my heart.

I probed, trying to figure out what was behind this. He decided he wanted to talk about it after Chinese, so I let him go. I figured it was our most recent interaction, when I was in the garage shifting laundry. He threw a stick into the garage from outside (blindly, apparently) and it hit me. In response, I was not very nice.

When he returned from Chinese he jumped right back into the conversation, saying no, it had been a little while since I had hurt his feelings. What usually hurt his feelings was when I was harsher than I needed to be.
(Which was the case in the garage. But he didn't say so.) He did say that he didn't like to tell me when I hurt his feelings because he didn't want to hurt my feelings. (Yikes.)
But that's just like my empathetic Bud.

I should probably mention at this point that he wouldn't leave for Chinese until he had finished the "I still love you..." bit of the message. Even though it made him late.
I am grateful for his generous spirit. Bud is more quick to forgive than anyone I know. He paints a picture for me of what grace looks like; and he holds no grudge. I am so grateful to have this sweet, strong-hearted boy with us. Grateful that he wipes out his resentment like his mistakes on a whiteboard.

And I am also glad to be reminded that this tough little guy is tender inside. Which is just how I would like him to stay. Tender towards his family, tender to those in need, tender to the whispers and shouts of the Holy Spirit.
And yes, glad to be called to be called out, to have the opportunity to apologize and be forgiven, glad for the restoration that brings to relationships. Glad for the incredible resiliency my children demonstrate.

And other things they demonstrate, too.
4 comments:
That sweet guy of yours has always had a deep and tender heart. Even when I didn't know you all that well, I saw that in his eyes. But oh, the crucible of parenthood...
Taryn
aw, man. this just melts my heart! I love that sweet boy!!!
Beloved!
Wow! What an amazing kid! (And, also, what lovely photography! Thank you! How wonderful that he can verbalize to clearly and cleanly! What a blessing!
Joy
Post a Comment