Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happier Times Outside



Since the BW invasion last week, J got two more of them Saturday night. In a world where evil is often dressed up to try to look attractive and darkness parades itself as Light, I do appreciate that Black Widow Spiders make no such attempt. They are clearly on the dark side...unapologetically jet black, with the most sinister and instantly recognizable limbs I've ever seen in an arachnid. You don't have to see the little red hourglass--really. Just one of those legs poking out is plenty for you to know what you're dealing with.

Thank you, Lord, for making this unhealthy thing so...revolting. Please, so attune my tastes and open my eyes to see all such dangerous things for what they really are...especially those that can "... destroy both soul and body..." (Matt. 10:28).

On to happier times!

Saturday J was spreading the load of mulch we'd had delivered, and called me to see this beautiful sight:


No, not the artichoke...although I'm excited about those.

See the little guys? We didn't even buy them and bring them in...they just showed up where the aphids are! An army of them!

I LOVE watching ladybugs go after aphids. The precious, sweet little ladybug of fairy books and little-girl Halloween costumes looks quite different on the ground when it's doing its job. Ruthless exterminators. Grimly efficient pesticides. Show-no-mercy bugs!

I don't think ladybugs would make it onto 75% of greeting cards and baby books if the illustrators had ever gotten down and watched one of these things take out a line of aphids. Amazing! It's like watching a lion with a...with a duck or something, in miniature!

Anyway, those ladybugs make me really happy. They've been there for days.


Oh, and here's a shot of my back flower bed these days. Even though there's a ways to go yet, I'm really excited to have blooming flowers...and herbs down on the end! Whose yard IS this, anyway??

No comments: