I'm happy to say that as of my return from San Diego at the end of April the walkie-talkies have been happily used. It took me four months to (1) buy the right kind of batteries, (2) realize I didn't have the right size screwdriver to open the battery compartment and insert said batteries, and (3) be in the right place at the right time when I remembered the screwdriver thing. I stopped at Wal-Mart on my way home from San Diego, and voila! --got the screwdriver.
For us, living in the land of high-end boutiques and Rite-Aid drugstores, getting to Wal-Mart or Target (cue angel choir) is like Pa Ingalls getting to Independence, Missouri for plate-glass windows and nails.
Back to the Walkie-talkies.
I remember having walkie-talkies with one of my younger brothers. It was awesome. We played army. I started to learn Morse code (it was printed right there on the front of the WT, and I couldn't resist the annoying beeping sound).
So, I was really looking forward to vicariously enjoying these walkie-talkies.


Here are some of the conversations I overheard:
"Hey, Bud, can you hear me?"
"No!"
"Hey, Bud, can you hear me?"
"No!"
"Hey, Bud, can you hear me?"
"No!"
That was one.

(Allow the camera to pan out, showing the full scene)

"Hey, Bud, these are phones, right?" (shouting)
"No! They're walkie TALKIES!!"

Towards the end, Bud felt Wombles had been through enough training to actually try using the walkie-talkies as... walkie-talkies. He stood up and headed for another room.

"Hey, Wombles!"
"Hey, Bud!"
"I'm goin'."
"I'm goin'."
"No, stay. I'm goin'."
"I'm comin'."
"...You'll never be able to get up in my bed."*
They'll figure it out one of these years.
Thanks, C & K!!
*Which, by the way, is simply not true. Last week, after bedtime, I went to answer Wombles' shriek only to find him stuck on top of Bud's dresser. Bud had coached him up into his top bunk (sans ladder, the monkey) but he got stuck when he tried to climb back down to get his water cup.
3 comments:
Oh, m'dear, you made our evening--starting with the angel choir! And the conversations, o my! Love you dearly!
so fun!
xoxo
That's hilarious. Wyatt and I have had similar conversations on the Walkie Talkies. The best part is when he tries to imitate that annoying beeping sound, but slightly off-pitch from the original, giving it that added resonance (or is that dissonance?)...
Just wanted to mention that I'm having a sad day, and my first thought for cheering up was to look at your blog. So anyway, thanks for coming through. Hope you have a wonderful summer.
Post a Comment