Friday, July 10, 2009

Paint the Town

Yesterday morning we took a break from "normal" summer school to have an "art" morning. It began when Bud asked, "Hey, Mom, can we paint?" and I shocked everyone by saying "Yes!"




Although the easels were great fun, everyone ended up finger-painting. Wombles began that way, and had to be convinced that paint was "Not for Eating!!"






Bud gave me dear hand prints without my even asking:




And although Pixie painted the Eiffel Tower on her easel painting (complete with French flags...thank you,
Madeline) she ended up getting in on the finger-paint action. With a different color on each finger...making Thanksgiving Turkeys (?).


Or maybe Pixie asked about painting. Either way, she is excited about switching out the artwork in the hall bathroom. The room is yellow with an array of variously sized bold red frames (Viva
EspaƱa). I fill the frames with the children's artwork...it is their "gallery." Pixie has been ready to switch out the lighthouse painting in the "big" frame for a new one...so we have the Eiffel tower. In my tribute-to-Spain bathroom. We'll have to have another paint day SOON!

Speaking of paint, we are almost done with fire-related painting issues. Next week we will be tearing the house apart so that all of the interior trim can be repainted...which means everything 2 feet away from baseboards, which means emptied out closets and rearranged furniture! On the upside, our exterior doors and railings were painted today, and they look great...and we didn't have to do it! Silver lining #437.

Monday is 8 months since the fire...and Bud's fourth birthday. We are gearing up, Lightning McQueen style. A trip down to Target in Ventura was on the agenda for today and was made all the more fun by having our 8-seater van completely full. 2 moms, 6 children, insanity. My friend came with me so that I could sneak away and get the last things for Bud's birthday without him knowing (J couldn't come with us). It was a huge service of love...four tantrums later we emerged and made it home victorious (after crawling through traffic on the 101). Although Bud saw something in the checkout line and yelled, "Mom! Thank you thank you for getting those Lightning McQueen racecars!!!" They are decorations for his cake, though, not the gift...so it was still a victory.

My friend also has said that she and her husband are planning on having our kids over for a meal tomorrow so that I can have a break. This sounds good, but I am not sure I can handle feeling more in debt to her than I already do. Besides the trip to Target today, :) during the school year she leads our neighborhood women's Bible study and is so incredibly gifted...and works so hard. So I constantly feel like I'm taking. How to give back?

Wow, it's nine and I need to do many things before heading to bed...like unloading the van from the Target trip while Bud's not watching, cleaning up the chicken pot pie that Wombles threw across the room while I stepped out after supper (Bud's was left on the table), checking out the new homeschool curriculum that came this afternoon, and eating dinner myself (this glorious dark chocolate that J's mom gave us just isn't going to cut it, after all.)

Oh, and spending a little while meditating on Romans 13:8:
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another.

No comments: