Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Arrival!

Wombles


Hello again! It's funny to me now that just over 12 hours after that last post, our little rascal made his debut. We are occasionally referring to him as "scooter"-- once he decided to join us, he didn't tarry too much. If you are interested in more of those sorts of details, see the bottom of the post... here are the first-day photos!

Family of Five!


His middle name is after his Dad, of course...I hope Wombles grows up to be just like him. I have always had intense admiration for J.D., and that has only grown during this pregnancy, for his heroism and sacrifice.


Pixie is a proud--and prime--big sister.


After repeatedly checking to be sure that the baby was "out of Mama's tummy" and "bo--orn," Bud was ready to inspect the toes. He's been talking about putting little shoes on the baby for a couple of weeks now.

J.D. came back to visit later Monday night, and got some eyeball-to-eyeball time with young Wombles.

On Sunday night, after deciding that the babe was definitely going to be late, we got to bed at a decent hour. Around 4 am, my water broke, but no contractions; since I'd never had my water break before, I had no idea what I was supposed to do. It didn't qualify as an "emergency" (to me), so while I waited to see whether anything would happen soon I started to fold laundry (J.D. picked up Aristotle, figuring correctly that there wouldn't be much time to finish class prep on Monday). Around 4:40am I realized that contractions were starting; we got to the hospital with my mom around 5:30am (my dad stayed with P&F); and Wombles was born at 8:36am!! His cord was wrapped twice around his neck and once around his body. We had known something was up but the nurses and doctor did a great job of not letting me get nervous about it. In fact they were completely wonderful. The delivery was definitely the best yet.
He is a big, healthy boy who likes to sleep a lot and has decided that eating's not too bad, either. Pixie and Bud are being wonderful, and are besotted--all kinds of sibling kisses. We feel so blessed.
We are also blessed that Mom was able to stay and help. Thank you Nona!! And DD, for sharing her with us!
Homecoming and early shots coming, soon. Thanks for sharing in our joy!!
F.C., for the five of us!

No comments: