The end of January is always dark and cold. In Georgia, growing up, it meant our chance at snow. In Wheaton, our chance of frostbite.
Bleak.
But today has been anything but bleak, and it's not just the weather.

Worship with our church this morning was wonder-ful. The musical worship and the liturgy and the sermon flowed together to form an environment where active heart-worship felt so natural and right. I remember just thinking "I'm so glad to be here. I'm so glad to be here."

I have been appreciating my family today, too, with their bright faces and patience (or not) and silliness. I have a powerful sense that these are golden days, days that I want to both clutch and and hold loosely; both participate in and observe; both record and not step out of in order to do so.
Nutmeg is thinking about walking, and is starting to stand. Today she started to learn how to blow kisses.
Wombles took garden shears around the yard and surprised me with an artistically and texturally interesting bouquet. (He also told me he loves me more than J does. Or than I love him. We measured out our arms to see whose "this much" was the biggest.)
Bud's other top front tooth is getting looser and looser. I can't wait to see his grin when it falls out. At church this morning, he found two college students who dined with us last week, plopped down between them, and read them the last chapter of Ruth.
Pixie is still pursuing three instruments--recorder, violin and piano--and has also begun exploring photography. We both have new cameras, and spent some of the afternoon snuggled on a chaise in the sun reading her digital photography book. We're excited about learning together!
I am, in the small minutes, feeling a bit overextended. A bit worn, perhaps. Every time I think of what I'm doing, though, I am glad for all of the opportunities I have. And yet it was a gift today to feel excited about the things I'm doing--excited about the two young women who may come and have lunch separate days each week, excited to educate our kids at home in addition to the things they learn elsewhere, excited that our neighborhood women's Bible study has started up again. Excited for J's opportunities at work, for the good feedback he's getting, that he's flourishing. Excited that our church is growing--not just in size, but in other ways too. Excited! Purposeful. Strong.

And often quite tired.
And so, in light of the often-tired, I am extra grateful that today feels like the blessing it is. No amount of willpower or self-determination can make me this joyful, this content.

And I am joyful and content. And for that, again and in turn, I give thanks.
Happy Sunday!
PS This afternoon, the boys in the family had a water fight while Pixie and I read her photography book. The photos are not from today--they're from New Year's Day--but I thought I'd share the similar glee.
1 comment:
This was beautifully written, Holly, and it definitely resonated with me. I know what you mean about loving this stage of life and yet feeling tired and over-extended at times (especially now that I'm back to teaching my one class at Northwestern). Have fun with the new camera--I've been taking a blogging break to spend some time doing photography lessons and finishing last year's photo album. Good times.
Post a Comment