
Every year, our anniversary comes in the midst of Christmas preparations, Advent celebrations, and End-of-Semester stress and chaos.
Over the past thirteen years, our anniversary has been celebrated on both coasts and in between.
Advent has grown richer and more meaningful.
And the end-of-semester stress has shifted from that of student to that of teacher and professor.
Occasionally we talk about celebrating on the anniversary of the day we were engaged, which is in August.
No matter how busy it feels, no matter who may need to travel, J always insists that we celebrate. On the day. At least a little bit.
And he is right. It is something to celebrate. I am happier to be married to J now than I was as a newlywed--and I was an overboard romantic then. God has been so good to us, and we are in particularly sweet season right now. I love him so, AND I have the warm fuzzies and deep affection. And, oh, we laugh. And laugh. And laugh.
Sometime this fall, out of the blue, he sent me a poem. In a year of romance and sweet messages and great dates, the poem still stands out (maybe because I immediately printed it and put it on the refrigerator, where it remains).
I never knew the title before tonight, though.
To a Long Loved Love
Because you're not who I would have you be
I blind myself to who, in truth, you are.
Seeking mirage where desert blooms, I mar
Your you. Aaah, I would like to see
Past all delusion to reality:
Then I would see God's image in your face,
His hands in yours, and in your eyes his grace.
Because I'm not who I would have me be,
I idolize Two who are not any place,
Not you, not me, and so we never touch.
Reality would burn. I do not like it much.
And yet in you, in me, I find a trace
Of love which struggles to break through
The hidden lovely truth of me, of you.
Madeleine L'Engle
One of my favorite love letters from the man I adore.
Happy Anniversary, Sweetheart! I'm thrilled to be on this road--and in the midst of this construction project--with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment