Friday, July 6, 2007

The "Everything's OK" Corral


DAY TWO

Although we could see thunderheads for most of the day, it seemed as if I-40 (and thus our route) was specifically designed to weave us through the storms and give us clear sailing into Oklahoma City. What a blessing!

We watched the Deep South fade away and got our first tastes of the wide open spaces to come. Just over the AR-OK state line, J.D. got tea to drink and it wasn’t sweet! Oh, dear! The beginnings of culture shock…not that we didn’t have some of those in the South, too. :)

Today was a little rougher, what with not-quite-enough sleep, but the shorter day (only about 8 hours total en route) and a delightful evening have been restorative for everyone. We arrived in time for a family swim before supper, as we had hoped!

As I type J.D. is reading to Pixie and Bud from “Little House on the Prairie.” It is fun, I think, for Pixie to get to move West to a new house along with the family we’ve followed from the Big Woods. Our crossing of the Mississippi River wasn't nearly as exciting as theirs, though...

Please thank God with us for a wonderful day. Tomorrow night I hope to be checking in from Albuquerque!


Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas yet!


Recharging the batteries (theirs and ours!)


A hundred (or two) miles of yellow wildflowers did not lose their refreshing-ness


The end of the road for the day!


1 comment:

Kim Johnson said...

I absolutely LOVE the pic of the kids sleeping. Those are some wonderful moments during a long car trip. Unfortunately they are usually preceded by some not so wonderful moments!! I guess that just makes you appreciate the quiet times even more :) We miss you guys. "I wish Carmen was here" was heard during Ella's birthday party on Friday...